Owner of F1, Liberty Media acquires MotoGP for R$26 billion | formula 1

Owner of F1, Liberty Media acquires MotoGP for R$26 billion | formula 1
Owner of F1, Liberty Media acquires MotoGP for R$26 billion | formula 1
-

The American media group that controls F1, Liberty Media, confirmed this Monday the acquisition of MotoGP, the main world motorcycle championship. The value of the agreement reached 4.2 billion pounds, equivalent to more than R$26 billion.

1 of 2 Marc Marquez and rivals at the Moto GP 2024 Portuguese GP — Photo: SOPA Images/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Marc Marquez and rivals at the Moto GP 2024 Portuguese GP — Photo: SOPA Images/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images

Liberty Media now owns 86% of the shares in the category; the remaining 14% will remain under the management of MotoGP itself, led by president Carmelo Ezpeleta.

How does scoring work in Formula 1?

MotoGP has existed since 1949; Today, the world championship that has already crowned names like Giacomo Agostini, Michael Doohan, Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez has 22 stages in 18 countries.

F1 has been owned by Liberty Media since 2016, when then-boss Bernie Ecclestone still managed the category. At the time, the agreement to acquire the elite of European motorsport yielded values ​​of 8.5 billion dollars, today estimated at more than R$42 billion.

2 of 2 Greg Maffei, CEO of Liberty Media, talks to Stefano Domenicali, CEO of the Formula 1 Group — Photo: Dan Istitene/F1 via Getty Images
Greg Maffei, CEO of Liberty Media, talks with Stefano Domenicali, CEO of the Formula 1 Group — Photo: Dan Istitene/F1 via Getty Images

At the time, Ecclestone was retained as director of Formula 1, but the presidency was taken over by American businessman and former vice-president of film production company 21st Century Fox, Chase Carey. Carey left his role in 2021, replaced by former Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali.

The article is in Portuguese

Tags: Owner Liberty Media acquires MotoGP R26 billion formula

-

-

PREV Djokovic will surpass Federer and become the oldest number 1
NEXT Sinner is already thinking about clay with a focus on Roland Garros