The Minas Gerais Criminalistics Institute confirmed the presence of monoethylene glycol in canine snacks, which would have been ingested by dogs that fell ill and died in the state. In all, there are eight dead dogs and six hospitalized in Minas and at least two confirmed cases of deaths in São Paulo.
The examination was carried out on the three brands of snacks that were delivered by tutors to the Civil Police and the toxic substance was found in one of them. Criminal expert Renata Fontes said that monoethylene glycol causes symptoms of intoxication similar to those dogs who had. It causes kidney damage, leading to insufficiency, which is exactly one of the symptoms being observed in animals affected by this intoxication.
The delegate responsible for the case, Danúbia Quadros, said that there are reports of dogs with the same symptoms in the interior of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Sul, Paraná, Santa Catarina, Goiás, Alagoas, Sergipe and the Federal District. She advises that owners who have sick dogs seek veterinary help and the police. In addition to the immediate care in relation to the animals, it is necessary to immediately seek the local police station with the product in hand to be examined and in the case of death, it is necessary to make the animal’s body available to be important for each person, each state to seek the local police.
The Ministry of Agriculture informed in a note that, in view of the imminent risks to the health of animals, this Friday it determined the national recall of all batches of products from the company Bassar Indústria e Comércio Limitada due to the reasoned suspicion of the occurrence of products contaminated. The measure is preventive and can be changed from the information that may be obtained from the investigations that are being conducted. The company has already commented on the matter and states that it does not use and has never used the substance in the manufacture of any of its products and that, as a precaution, it has started to withdraw the snack lot from the market for laboratory analysis.