Who: Iowa State (1-0) vs. Iowa State (1-0) Lindenwood (0-1)
Onde: Hilton Coliseum (14,267) – Ames, Iowa
When: Thursday, Nov. 9, 2023 – 7 pm
Tipping Off: Following a 41-point opening-night win over Green Bay, the Cyclones return to Hilton Coliseum to host the Lindenwood Lions. Iowa State and Lindenwood will square off for the first time on Thursday, as the Lions just made the move from Division II to Division I in July of 2022.
- Iowa State freshman Milan Momcilovic had a season-opener to remember, as the rookie from Pewaukee, Wis., had a team-high 18 points against GB, going 6-7 from deep.
- Momcilovic’s 18 points are the fourth-most by a freshman in a season-opener in program history.
- His six 3-pointers are the most ever by an ISU rookie in a season-opener.
- A pair of newcomers led the Cyclones in minutes on Monday, as Momcilovic and UNLV transfer Keshon Gilbert got their first taste of Hilton.
- Gilbert was second on the team in scoring, behind Momcilovic, with 17.
- Tamin Lipseya unanimous Big 12 All-Freshman Team selection last season, kicked off his 2023-24 campaign flirting with a triple-double as he finished with 12 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.
- He was one of four players nationally to tally those numbers on Monday night.
- Iowa State will aim to move to 2-0 for the third team under Otzelberger.
- All 13 players who suited on Monday night saw the court.
- As a head coach, TJ is 141-90 overall and has led the Cyclones to a 42-27 record during his tenure in Ames.
From the Notes:
- Iowa State tallied 10 steals against Green Bay, its most since snagging 11 against No. 22 TCU last year (2/15).
- Iowa State held Green Bay to 44 points, the second-fewest points allowed by the Cyclones in a home opener in the last 35 years.
- Iowa State moved to 25-5 under Coach Otzelberger when p[laying against non-conference opponents.
- The Cyclones have now won 18 straight games when scoring at least 80 points after finishing with 85 against Green Bay.
- Tre King is the only Cyclone with over 1,000 career points. Last season, he was one of four Cyclones to hit that milestone.
- Lindenwood opened the 2023-24 season with a loss at Nebraska, falling to the Cornhuskers 52-84.
- In Monday night’s loss at Nebraska, the Lions were held to 32.4% shooting from the field and just 18.8% from behind the 3-point line.
- Lindenwood finished its first season as a DI team 11-21 with a 6-12 record in OVC play.
- Kyle Gerdeman is in his fifth season as the head coach of the Lions. Gerdeman has led Lindenwood to a 45-65 record across that span,
- The Lions were picked to finish 10th out of 11 in the Ohio Valley Conference preseason poll after the league’s head coaches and communication directors voted back in October.
- After sitting out last season due to transfer regulations, Darius Beane – son of Associate Head Coach Anthony Beane – made his debut for the Lions against Nebraska
- Lindenwood’s Keenon Cole had a team-high 14 points against Nebraska.
- Cole was named to the preseason All-OVC prior to the season.