11/8/2023 8:58:00 PM
Game 10 of the 2023 season takes the Racers to Illinois State for an 11 am kickoff
Murray State at Illinois State
Nov 11, 2023 – 11 am CT
Hancock Stadium – Normal, Ill. (13,391)
Murray State Record: 2-7 (2-2 H, 0-5 A) Missouri Valley: 1-5
Next Away: Final Road Game Next Home: Youngstown State (Nov. 18)
Head Coach: Dean Hood (Ohio Wesleyan, 1986) Record: 70-61 (12th season) at MUR: 15-23 (4th season)
vs ILST: 1-0
Illinois State Record: 5-4 (3-2 H, 2-2 A) Missouri Valley: 3-3
Next Home: Final Home Game Next Away: North Dakota (Nov. 18)
Head Coach: Brock Spack (Purdue, 1983) Record: 100-69 (15th season) at ILST: Same
vs MUR: 0-0
Game Day Storylines
- The Racers (2-7) are 1-5 in their first season in the MVFC.
- The Racers and Redbirds have played six times, but not since 2008 when the Racers lost to Illinois State 42-23. MSU has won one time in the series, that coming in their first meeting in 2001 in Murray 32-17.
- MSU began the season by committing 34 penalties in the first five games. However, in the last five games, they have been flagged only 25 times.
- The Racers are converting 3rd downs at a clip of 31 percent and in the last two games vs NDSU and North Dakota, they are 5-of-23 for 21 percent.
- Matt Maldonado and James London share place kicking duties for the Racers. Maldonado is 6-of-6, all from 00 yards and closer. London kicks the longest field goals and made a 53-yarder at NDSU two weeks ago.
- vs North Dakota, DJ Williams tossed for a season-best 228 yards on 19-of-36 with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
- Williams’ 36 pass attempts were MSU’s season-high and the most passes thrown since Jayden Stinson threw 40 passes vs Austin Peay (10-15-22).
- Williams’ three TD passes was the first for a Racer QB since Jayden Stinson did it vs Eastern Illinois (09-24-22).
- Jawaun Northington flirted with a 100-yard day vs North Dakota with 89 yards (17 carries) marks a new career high, one yard better than his 88 yards (20 carries) vs UT Martin (10-08-2022).
- Taylor Shields and Cole Rusk have combined to catch 10 of Williams’ 11 touchdown passes this season.
- Jacob Bell’s 5 receptions on 63 yards vs North Dakota marked his best game of the season in catches and yards.
- After the game at Illinois State, the Racers finish the season at home against Youngstown State on Senior Day and Hall of Fame Day. Former Racer Football stars Squeeky Yarbrough and Nathan Williams are part of the class of 2023.