Palmeiras ended the month of August with a positive balance in the dispute for the titles of the Brazilian Championship and the Copa Libertadores. There were seven games, with two wins, four draws and only one defeat.
Verdão played three knockout games for the South American tournament and three straight clashes valid for the Brasileirão – in addition to a duel against Goiás, which occupied the middle of the table.
+ Want to turn your football knowledge into cash prizes at each round of the Brasileirão? Access Cartola Express!
In the period, Palmeiras managed to open seven points of advantage in the leadership of the Brasileirão. There were four games for the competition, with two wins (Goiás and Corinthians) and two draws (Flamengo and Fluminense). There are only 14 rounds left for the championship to end.
Abel Ferreira during Palmeiras training at the Football Academy — Photo: Cesar Greco
For Libertadores, Palmeiras failed to beat Atlético-MG in the quarterfinals. However, it provided two great clashes and qualified on penalties, at Allianz Parque, after holding the tie with two players less.
Last Tuesday, Verdão lost 1-0 to Athletico, away from home, leaving behind in the semifinal. The return game will be next Tuesday, at 9:30 pm, at Allianz Parque, in São Paulo. Palmeiras need to win to take the decision to penalties. A win by two or more goals difference guarantees a place in the third consecutive final.
the games of palm trees in the month of August:
- august 3 – Atlético-MG 2 x 2 Palmeiras (Libertadores)
- august 7th – Palmeiras 3 x 0 Goiás (Brasileirão)
- august 10 – Palmeiras 0 (6) x (5) 0 Atlético-MG (Libertadores)
- august 13o – Corinthians 0 x 1 Palmeiras (Brasileirão)
- August 21 – Palmeiras 1 x 1 Flamengo (Brasileirão)
- August 27 – Fluminense 1 x 1 Palmeiras (Brasileirão)
- August 30 – Athletico 1 x 0 Palmeiras (Libertadores)
Current two-time champion of Libertadores, Palmeiras does not hide the desire to, in addition to winning the third championship, be Brazilian champion again after four seasons. The title would be one more in the gallery of Abel Ferreira and the cast that won practically everything in recent years.
– The month of August is what it is. You know my opinion on the calendar, I will take stock at the end of the season. Now it is time to try to reverse the result in our house, the calendar is what it is and we will continue on our way. That’s how it was so far and let’s move on. It is a very difficult competition to win and in the end we will see who will be better – said Abel Ferreira, after the defeat to Athletico.
Palmeiras enters the field again next Saturday, at 19:00 (Brasília time), against Bragantino, at the Nabi Abi Chedid stadium, in Bragança Paulista, for the 25th round of the Brasileirão.
+ Let’s go Brazilian! The biggest offer of games for a price that gives game. Subscribe to Premiere!