Did you know that Vasco is a club that has received an honor from Portugal’s royalty and that they could, if they wanted, add the word “royal” before their name and the Portuguese crown on their shield?
Real Club de Regatas Vasco da Gama? The story behind the club’s title of royalty
This is a story that was born in the distant year of 1907, which was lost after a regicide – the murder of a king – that shocked Portugal at the beginning of the last century, but which was recently rescued. Vasco is the only club outside Portugal that holds this Royal License.
The details are broken down in the book “125 anos de Glórias: Real Club de Regatas Vasco da Gama”, launched on Thursday at an event at the Palácio de São Clemente, in Rio de Janeiro, where the headquarters of the Embassy of Portugal in Brazil are located. . O ge spoke with Manuel Beninger, president of the Portuguese Association of Monarchical Mayors (APAM) and author of the work (see a summary in the video above).
– The book is not a novel, it is a historical record. It tells the story of those small details that give Vasco its title. It’s as if Vasco were the Real Madrid of the tropics – he joked.
In December 2016, on a visit to São Januário, APAM awarded the club the Medal of Honor for promoting its Portuguese roots. Then-president Eurico Miranda received the badge in his hands.
On the occasion, historian Henrique Hübner, who was director of the Vasco Memory Center, commented on the title of nobility that the club should have received in 1908 (the fact was reported by newspapers at the time), but which ended up being forgotten throughout of time.
– He said that he had this story, that it had vaguely happened, but that there was no confirmation – explained Beninger.
– So when I was alerted about this, I asked about Vasco’s desire to have this royal title. They showed great interest. I went to Portugal, did the research, we got in touch with historians, with the Chancellery of the Portuguese Royal House and it was found that, in fact, there was and there was overwhelming evidence of this document to be delivered to Vasco da Gama. The title existed, but it was not delivered – he added.
“The Real Madrid of the tropics”
The story is as follows: in 1907, in recognition of Vasco’s achievements in favor of Portuguese roots, King Dom Carlos I promulgated the so-called Royal Charter. The royal document would be delivered to the club the following year, 1908, during the King of Portugal’s visit to Brazil to celebrate 100 years since the opening of the ports of Rio de Janeiro to friendly nations.
– However, on February 1, 1908, the king was assassinated. There was a regicide, they killed the king and the royal prince. The king did not come, the title was not given and it was forgotten in history. Completely forgotten – said the author of the book.
At that time, it was common to confer royalty titles on football clubs and institutions. In Brazil, the Royal Portuguese Reading Cabinet and the Real Sociedade Clube de Ginástica Português remain standing to this day – both, like Vasco, received the Royal Charter from the Royal House of Portugal.
It’s the same thing that happened with Real Madrid, which in turn received the honor from Spanish King Alfonso XIII. In Spain, Real Sociedad, Betis, Valladolid, Celta de Vigo, Mallorca and Espanyol are other examples of clubs that have “Real” in their name and the crown on their shield.
– Vasco is the Real Madrid of the tropics. That was the proposal – said Manuel Beninger.
On behalf of APAM and informed about Vasco’s interest, Beninger liaised with the Portuguese Royal House to renew the Royal Charter’s votes. The new document (photo above) it was signed by Dom Duarte de Bragança, currently the head of the Portuguese monarchy, and handed over to the club in August 2017.
The ceremony ended a story that began more than a century ago.
The book written by Beninger will be sold for a symbolic amount, and all proceeds will be passed on to a solidarity institution in Guinea Bissau: “We are going to help another Portuguese-speaking country, which is a very well-known country. They are interested in making a Vasco da Gama football team. We are going to buy uniforms, equip young people and think about Brazil outside of Brazil. We want to project Vasco outside the continent”, he concluded.
Watch everything about Vasco on ge, Globo and SporTV: