The attacker of Santos, Marcos Leonardohas everything planned to leave the club at the end of this season and move to Pomegranate, from Italy, regardless of the team’s position in the Brasileirão – the club is still at risk of falling to Series B. This is what Rafaela Pimenta, the 20-year-old player’s manager and one of Santos’ top scorers this season, says to the Italian website Calcio Mercato. The player was close to being traded to European football in the middle of the year, but ended up staying on the black and white team for the tournament. Brazilian championship.
“In the last transfer window, Marcos had the possibility of being sold, but Santos’ sporting situation was very particular. He agreed to stay because he wanted to help until the end of the championship, he didn’t want to leave because it wasn’t right. But the time for the transfer has come. He wants to have a European experience and his time will come this (European) winter,” said Rafaela Pimenta. Santos loses a lot without the player in attack.
Marcos Leonardo is another of the young promises of Brazilian football to transfer to European football at a very young age. He follows in the footsteps of Vítor Roque, from Athletico-PRwhich was sold to Barcelona for 74 million euros, around R$400 million, and Endrick, revelation of Palm trees who will leave the alviverde club in July next year heading to Real Madrid, also for R$408 million.
Marcos Leonardo even negotiated with coach José Mourinho’s Roma in the middle of the year and was left without training at Santos until the situation was resolved. As the parties did not reach an agreement, as the Italian club wanted the athlete to leave immediately, the striker reintroduced himself and has been leading the club in the fight to remain in Serie A of the Brasileirão. On the table, the beach club had 12 million euros. This proposal should earn another 3 million euros. People who look after the player’s career have already said that he will not remain in Vila.
In the middle of the season, the number 9 was released by the Santos board to compete in the U20 World Cup with the Brazilian team, in Argentina. Marcos Leonardo scored five goals in the five matches he played in the tournament, but saw Brazil eliminated in the quarter-finals by Israel, with a 3-2 defeat in extra time.
During the period in which they were without their main player, due to the U20 World Cup, Santos played eight matches and won only two, against cruise It is Vasco, two teams that are also fighting against relegation. In addition, there were two other defeats and four draws, one of which culminated in the team’s elimination from the Copa do Brasil, against Bahia.
Continues after advertising
Loses in quality and gains in cash
Marcos Leonardo’s imminent departure is bad news for Santos fans, at least from a sporting point of view. The striker is the team’s top scorer in this edition of the Brazilian Championship, with 13 goals scored, and the main hope in the fight against relegation to Series B. For comparison purposes, the team’s second top scorer in the dispute is Stiven Mendoza, who scored six times. This year, 21 goals were scored with the Santos shirt and another four assists.
In compensation, Santos will have more money, another problem for the club this season. The total value of the sale would be equivalent to R$80 million. With a contract renewed until 2026, the club is entitled to 70% of the sale value. The other 30% belongs to the player. His termination fine is 100 million euros, more than R$500 million. The person who will approve the player’s sale is the new Santos president, whose elections are scheduled for December 9, three days after the end of the Brasileirão.
As the player’s relationship with Santos lasts until the end of 2026, there must be financial compensation for the immediate transfer to Italian football. The striker’s good performance in the second half of the year led to his name being considered for the main Brazilian team. Roma were not the only team interested in the player, the Newcastlefrom England, and Real Madrid, from Spain, even carried out surveys.
The number 9 will play until the last round of the season, will go on vacation and then hope to reach an agreement with Roma. Santos is in 14th place, with 42 points, four more than Bahia, the first team within the relegation zone. The club’s next commitment in the competition is against Botafogoin a duel scheduled for Sunday, at 4pm, at the Nilton Santos Stadium, for the 35th round.