Rogério Ceni has eight training sessions until Bahia’s next challenge in the fight against relegation, scheduled for the 24th of this month, a Friday, against Corinthians. During this period, the coach will need to choose a replacement for center forward Everaldo, who is suspended. But the news for the team’s next commitment could go further.
Bahia draws with Athletico at home and disappoints the fans again
In the draw against Athletico, Bahia played with three defenders, with midfielder Rezende joining Kanu and Vitor Hugo, and Juba and Gilberto as wingers. After the match, Rogério Ceni analyzed that this system gives the team more protection, but considered that whether it will be maintained or not will depend on the way the next opponent plays.
– I have to agree that the team is firmer defensively when playing with Rezende in the three-line line. Now, if I take a team without a reference, São Paulo, for example, practically plays without 9, with Luciano coming to float. There’s no point in having three defenders because you lose midfield. It depends a lot on the system the opponent plays. We have a wild card in Rezende, he plays as well as a midfielder as he does as a defender, he has an aerial game. Our advantage is that we can use Rezende as third (defender) and second midfielder and change the way the team plays – analyzed the coach.
In addition to looking at the way the opponent acts, Rogério Ceni also believes that the system with three defenders and wingers only works if the team has a reference on the field, the famous number 9, a piece that the team has a problem with for the next game, in reason for Everaldo’s suspension. In theory, Vinicius Mingotti would be the natural replacement, but he is in a bad phase and was not even listed for the last appointment.
– In theory, when you play with three defenders and wingers, who reach the bottom line, the reference inside the area is important. The plays come from the sides, and you have to have the reference man to finish. Today [último domingo], Everaldo even fell too far to the sides, he stopped being centralized. And Biel far away.
Another possibility for Rogério Ceni for the game is to cast Rafael Ratão as a reference. The attacker can perform the role, despite being more familiar with the sides of the field.
– Juba quite shy on the offensive side in the first half; In the second half, he played a good game, got deep, created plays for his side. I really liked Juba’s second half, not so much the first half. About [a ausência do] Everaldo, let’s think calmly, analyze the next opponent. Corinthians played with a line of three against Grêmio, a lot because of what we did against Grêmio, I believe. I would do that too, if I had the opportunity to see an opponent playing against them.
At least there will be no shortage of training for Rogério Ceni, who has time to adjust Bahia during the FIFA break. The game against Corinthians will be played at the Neo Química Arena and is crucial for Tricolor in the fight against relegation.
For this game, Ceni will count on the return of Camilo Cándido, after serving suspension. In addition to Everaldo, the coach lost defender David Duarte, also for receiving his third yellow card against Athletico.
Some possible Bahia lineups to take on Corinthians:
- Marcos Felipe; Gilberto, Kanu, Rezende, Vitor Hugo and Camilo Cándido; Acevedo, Thaciano and Cauly; Biel and Ratão [Mingotti];
- Marcos Felipe; Gilberto, Kanu, Vitor Hugo and Camilo Cándido; Rezende, Acevedo, Thaciano and Cauly; Biel and Ratão [Mingotti];
- Marcos Felipe; Gilberto, Kanu, Vitor Hugo and Camilo Cándido; Rezende, Yago Felipe, Thaciano and Cauly; Biel and Ratão [Mingotti].
With 38 points in Series A, Bahia is out of the relegation zone, but Cruzeiro opens the Z-4 with 37 points and has two fewer matches, which will be played during this FIFA date period.