The Labor Court decided this Wednesday, 1st, that General Motors must also reinstate the employees who were fired at the São Caetano do Sul and Mogi das Cruzes (SP, in the photo) units. The decision was made by TRT-2.
Last Tuesday, the 31st, as we published, the TRT-15 had already determined that the automaker would reinstate the approximately 800 employees it fired from its factory in São José dos Campos (SP).
Judge Sueli Tomé da Ponte, responsible for the preliminary (provisional) decision in the cases of São Caetano and Mogi das Cruzes, stated that the mass layoffs were illegal. According to her, there was no prior negotiation with the unions, which is mandatory in cases of collective dismissals.
In addition to the reinstatement of dismissed employees, the judge ordered the automaker not to carry out any new layoffs, under penalty of a daily fine of R$1,000 per employee. This decision puts pressure on the company to begin negotiations with workers, he told Sheet Miguel Torres, president of Força Sindical.
The layoffs took place on the 21st and affected workers at GM units in the three cities of São Paulo. The automaker, which did not disclose the total number of employees laid off, said the layoffs were due to the drop in sales and exports.