Valdemar Costa Neto states that the party “does not agree with this decision” and that lawyers will appeal to the STF
The PL (Liberal Party) will appeal to the STF (Supreme Federal Court) over the decision of the TSE (Superior Electoral Court) of Tuesday (31.Oct.2023) that made former minister Walter Braga Netto ineligible. Former president Jair Bolsonaro (PL) was also convicted for the second time.
“We do not agree with this decision. Our lawyers are already preparing themselves and we will appeal to the Supreme Court”, said the president of the PL, Valdemar Costa Neto, to CNN Brazil.
Valdemar stated that the PL will also appeal Bolsonaro’s new conviction. The former president was already ineligible until 2030 due to abuse of economic power and misuse of the media. The conviction on Tuesday (Oct 30) does not add to what had already been determined by the TSE on June 30.
Here is the voting score:
- 5 votes in favor of conviction: Benedito Gonçalves (rapporteur), Floriano Marques, André Ramos Tavares, Cármen Lúcia, Alexandre de Moraes (president);
- 2 votes against: Raul Araujo and Nunes Marques.
The payment of a fine of R$425.6 thousand was ordered for Bolsonaro and R$212.8 thousand for Braga Netto – also former Minister of Defense and the Civil House during the Bolsonaro government.
On his profile on the social network X (formerly Twitter), Braga Netto https://twitter.com/BragaNetto_gen/status/1719747657906675812 disagree with the TSE’s decision. “We will use, as we have always done, all judicial and democratic means to prove and prove the fairness of our actions”he stated.
Bolsonaro signaled support for federal deputy Delegado Ramagem (PL-RJ) to run for Rio de Janeiro City Hall. The vacancy was previously claimed by Braga Netto. In a video circulating on social media, the former president says that the congressman is, “in principle, the pre-candidate” of your party.
Watch Bolsonaro’s statement: