Accused of terrorism in Italy, Cesare Battisti is convicted of trying to leave Brazil with dollars and euros | Mato Grosso do Sul

Accused of terrorism in Italy, Cesare Battisti is convicted of trying to leave Brazil with dollars and euros | Mato Grosso do Sul
Accused of terrorism in Italy, Cesare Battisti is convicted of trying to leave Brazil with dollars and euros | Mato Grosso do Sul

About five years after the crime, the accused of terrorism in Italy, Cesare Battisti, was convicted by the 3rd Federal Court of Campo Grande for attempting to evade currency. According to the complaint from the Federal Public Ministry (MPF), the crime took place in 2017, when the Italian tried to leave Brazil via Corumbá (MS) towards Bolivia with US$ 6,000 and 1,300 euros.

Judge Bruno Cezar da Cunha Teixeira determined a sentence of 1 year, 11 months and 10 days in semi-open prison, in addition to a 40-day fine, which represents 40 minimum wages equivalent to the date of the fact, an amount of more than Rs. $37 thousand.

In 2017, when trying to go to Bolivia, Battisti was in Brazil. At this time, the Italian was arrested and soon after received provisional release. After being released, Battisti maintained his residence in São Paulo. In 2019, the Italian who was on fugitive status was captured in Bolivia, after about 40 years on the run from Italy. He was subsequently extradited to his country of origin.

As for the arrest in Mato Grosso do Sul, the MPF complaint says that when approached, Battisti claimed to be entering Bolivia to fish and shop. However, during the inspection of the vehicle, no fishing gear was found, “only a container with traces of cocaine”.

During the reasoning, the judge stated that Battisti intended to stay in Bolivia for a few weeks to define “the bases for a request for political asylum in the future”.

On the current conviction, Battisti’s defense can appeal in the 2nd and 3rd instance. In contact with g1, the Italian lawyers informed that they became aware of the sentence this Thursday (1st). Read the full note:

“The defense of Cesare Battisti informs that today it was informed of the sentence handed down by the Criminal Court of Campo Grande and that it will present the appropriate appeal to the Federal Regional Court, understanding that there are mistakes to be corrected. The defense has already presented elements indicating that there was no practice of criminal offense by Cesare Battisti and is confident that the Justice will recognize his innocence”.

Battisti is serving time in Italy

Cesare Battisti has been serving time in Italy since January 2019.

The Italian was part of the Proletarians Armed by Communism group and was sentenced to life in prison in 1993 for four murders committed in the 1970s against a prison guard, a police officer, a neo-fascist militant and a jeweler from Milan (the jeweler’s son was left paraplegic, after also being hit).

He claims he has never killed anyone and says he is a victim of political persecution.

There were more than 35 years of almost permanent flight, with periods of imprisonment and political-judicial struggles to avoid justice in Italy. Battisti escaped his country in the 1980s, lived in Mexico, France, Brazil and, more recently, had gone into hiding in Bolivia.

The Italian managed to get refuge in Brazil in 2009. But the status, granted to him by then President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, was reviewed in December last year by Michel Temer, who authorized his extradition. The Federal Police made more than 30 operations to locate him, but were unsuccessful.

As Battisti’s entry into Bolivia was illegal, his expulsion was requested by Italy and accepted by the Bolivian government.

Watch videos from Mato Grosso do Sul:

The article is in Portuguese

Brazil

Tags: Accused terrorism Italy Cesare Battisti convicted leave Brazil dollars euros Mato Grosso Sul

PREV Woman arrested trying to get drugs into Maximum Security Penitentiary
NEXT Elections 2022 in Acre: see new schedule and what to bring on voting day | Elections 2022 in Acre
-

-

-

-