Mayors of RS say they are outraged by government bureaucracy to release resources

Mayors of RS say they are outraged by government bureaucracy to release resources
Descriptive text here
-

The president of the National Confederation of Municipalities, Paulo Ziulkoski, stated this Monday (13) that the mayors of cities in Rio Grande do Sul are outraged by the bureaucracy created by the federal government to release emergency aid funds to the state. The complaint came after Minister Waldez Góes, of Regional Integration and Development, said over the weekend that only 69 municipalities contacted the government, out of the 447 that declared calamity.

Ziulkoski states that he will have a meeting with Minister Fernando Haddad, of Finance, in the afternoon, to discuss the situation of the city halls, but that the R$ 16 million released so far to the city halls are not enough for an immediate response to the disasters.

According to him, there are cities where mayors are not even able to enter city halls, that is, there is no way to send letters to the government to request emergency funding. The summary procedure created by the ministry requires sending the public calamity decree and a letter requesting the funds by email.

“We have been there for 15 days, and today unfortunately the severity of rainfall is reaching a new peak, but is it possible to imagine R$16 million for 69 municipalities? Will this be the response to city halls, 15 days later? We are outraged,” said Ziulkoski in an interview with GloboNews.

The executive stated that he agrees with the need to have planning and supervision in the use of public resources at times like this, but that the moment should have even less bureaucracy for the release of resources. Ziulkoski says the government could make specific funds available directly to the hardest-hit municipalities without requiring formal requests

The government ordinance defines that the transfer of emergency resources will be according to the size of the city: R$200,000 for municipalities with up to 50,000 inhabitants, R$300,000 for up to 100,000 residents and R$500,000 above this amount.

Ziulkoski says that the immediate release of resources will be properly monitored with the municipalities’ accountability, and that this bureaucracy for the transfer of funds is impeding the first recovery work. “Claiming that you don’t have space, that you need a job, you already know the damage. What is the difference between having a letter or sending R$300 or R$1 million, R$2 million? He has to be equally accountable”, he said.

“We are at the point where it seems that, in doubt, the mayor will be dishonest and embezzle the money. It is not possible to continue like this, we will continue working,” he said.

The president of the CNM states that the moment is serious and that mayors are focused on saving lives and locating missing people, in addition to the first repairs to critical structures, such as streets and hospitals.

Ziulkoski also said that the confederation found that, in the last 11 years, all the natural disasters that occurred in Brazil caused losses of R$680 billion, and that successive right-wing and left-wing governments released only R$3 billion in resources.

After the interview, the People’s Gazette He contacted the Social Communication Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic (Secom), the Civil House and the Ministry of Regional Integration and Development (MIDR) to ask for explanations about Ziulkoski’s questions.

MIDR did not respond directly to the criticism, limiting itself to the explanation given by Góes on Friday (10) and Saturday (11) about the relaxation of the ordinance that releases resources by sending an official letter by email.

As Góes also informed, the complete reconstruction plans can be presented later, but emergency resources are made available before their complete presentation – only through the letter.

“For reconstruction actions, the Federal Government needs a Work Plan, based on the information sent, the National Civil Defense technical team evaluates the goals and values ​​requested. With approval, a decree is published in the DOU with the amount to be released”, stated the ministry.

The folder informed the People’s Gazette that the National Civil Defense “offers a series of distance learning courses to enable and qualify municipal and state agents to use S2iD, in addition to in-person assistance from meetings with mayors and governors to prepare plans”. “The training focuses on civil protection and defense agents in the three spheres of government”, he added with a link to the resource request.

Secom and the Civil House did not respond to questions until the report was completed.

According to the most recent bulletin from the Civil Defense of Rio Grande do Sul, released on Sunday night (12), the state has 618 thousand homeless people and 447 municipalities affected.

The rains followed by floods killed 145 people and there are still 132 missing. 806 were injured. In total, 2.1 million people were affected. Of these, 81.2 thousand are in public shelters and 538.7 thousand in relatives’ homes.

The report was updated following MIDR’s response to People’s Gazette.

Updated on 05/13/2024 at 11:36

The article is in Portuguese

Tags: Mayors outraged government bureaucracy release resources

-

-

PREV More than 10 thousand animals have already been rescued from the floods in RS
NEXT The number of deaths after floods in Rio Grande do Sul rises to 136 | Brazil
-

-

-