Fire hits room of residence in the Federation neighborhood, in Salvador
A house was partially hit by a fire this Saturday morning (3), in the neighborhood of Federación, in Salvador. Five people needed help after inhaling smoke. Residents of the property suspect that the situation was caused by a candle lit on an altar where there was an image of a saint, which was not destroyed by the flames.
The case occurred around 6:30 am, on Rua Jardim Federación. The property’s living room was destroyed by fire, which was put out by residents and neighbors.
“My father has a habit of waking up early and, when he got up, the fire had already spread throughout the room, there was a lot of smoke giving off a strong smell. He woke everyone up, took a hose and started to put it out, the neighbors came and helped too “, said Maiane Batista, one of the residents of the residence.
Maiane said that the flames had already stopped when firefighters arrived, and professionals inspected the property.
Of the five people who needed help after inhaling smoke, two were taken by Salvar teams to the Barris Emergency Care Unit (UPA). There are no details about their health status.
One of the people rescued is an elderly woman who lives in the area and lit a candle in praise of Saint Bárbara, of whom she is devoted. The altar was also destroyed by flames, however, the image remained intact, covered only by soot.
“We believe it was a candle. We believe that the candle could have fallen and then exhaled throughout this area. My grandmother, being devout, always has the habit of lighting candles. And now with this whole situation, she is destroyed , it’s very sad,” said Maiane.
See more state news on g1 Bahia.