A 15-year-old teenager died during a fire in the apartment where she lived with her family, around 4:45 pm this Friday, in the Lundcéia neighborhood, in Lagoa Santa, in the metropolitan region of Belo Horizonte.
Firefighters were unable to say how the flames started. The fact is that the teenager was alone in the property. According to witnesses, she was in the kitchen preparing food on the stove when the fire spread. When the fire started, she hid in the bathroom and locked the door. This version will be investigated by the Civil Police.
After fighting the flames, the girl was found dead. The suspicion is that she was poisoned by the smoke, as was the family dog, which also died. Civil Police experts were at the scene and are expected to issue a report stating whether it was actually the smoke that caused the deaths. The girl’s body was sent to the IML (Legal Medical Institute) in the Capital.
The teenager’s mother is a teacher and was in shock when she arrived at the scene. Maria Clara was the middle daughter of three brothers. Neighbors and relatives mourned the girl’s early death.
The fire mobilized four fire engines, one from the Military Police and two from the Civil Police. Authorities had to isolate the street outside the building to fight the fire. Civil Defense must inspect the property to assess whether there was structural damage.