Red Tide: alert is issued after bathers reported poisoning in Alagoas
In less than 24 hours, the Department of Health responded bathers who were at Carro Quebrado Beach. They presented symptoms such as nausea, sore throat, stomach pain, cough, runny nose, nasal obstruction and signs of conjunctivitis. A section of the beach had to be closed.
In the alert, the Municipality advises bathers who present similar symptoms to seek the emergency unit in São Sebastião, which operates 24 hours a day. The city recommends avoiding going to beaches or swimming in the sea.
The city’s Environment Secretary, Sérgio Silva, told the g1 that the algae were brought from Pernambuco to the coast of Alagoas and that contact between people who felt symptoms would have occurred through the air. He also said that the odor of the algae is similar to cooking gas.
The phenomenon of harmful algal blooms occurs along the entire coastline during a transitory period, usually a short one. The temperature of sea water and environmental and climatic conditions encourage the intense proliferation of some species of harmful microalgae, causing the phenomenon to occur.